Focus: Communication Skills
Peter Brown is an author and illustrator. He enjoys creating stories by drawing whimsical characters and scenes from his imagination. A few years ago, Peter Brown visited NIS. He read stories and showed the children how important drawing and creativity is to an author and illustrator. Peter Brown has earned many awards for his work. His wonderful picture books are some of our favourites at NIS.
The following stories, read by the teacher are available on Seesaw. Please refer as needed.
Here are two of our favourite stories!
‘Mr. Tiger Goes Wild’ by Peter Brown.
Mr. Tiger was bored with being so proper. Do you get bored of being proper, always doing the right thing?
Mr Tiger knows exactly how you feel. In this story, Mr. Tiger decides to go wild, but does he go too far? There is a time and place for everything…even going wild!
- Why is it important to have friends?
- How do we make new friends?
- How might we show our friends we care about them?
You can also share your thinking through your drawings, just like Peter Brown does!
Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)
- Express oneself using words and sentences.
- Interpret visual, audio and oral communication: recognizing and creating signs, interpreting and using symbols and sounds.
- Understand the ways in which images and language interact to convey ideas.
Reading, writing and mathematics
- Understand symbols.
- Understand that mark-making carries meaning.
- Use mark-marking to convey meaning.
- Document information and observations in a variety of ways.