We began by discussing and sharing what we already know about patterns. The students noted their ideas on large chart paper.
- Ethan “You can repeat something or add more.”
- Seoyeon and Ella “pattens can be shapes. Patterns have to repeat all the time.”
- “Patterns can be numbers.”
- Agata “Patterns can be long or short.”
- Seoyeon “Patterns can be colours.”
- Agata “Can patterns be built with people?”
I can see…
- “…strawberries and blueberries.” – Grace
- “…one strawberry changed to a blueberry.” – Ethan
- “…strawberry -1 each and blueberry +1 each.” – Seungbin
- “…the number of the strawberry is getting smaller and replacing it with a blueberry.” – Ella
- “…I see the picture going down is the blueberry is more more.” – Lawrence
How can you show these patterns using numbers?
What would the next 3 pictures in the sequence look like?
Finally, the students created their own pattern using manipulatives, symbols and numbers, demonstrating how patterns can be represented in a variety of ways.
Our exploration on patterns continues…