The students were invited to use Pattern Blocks to create designs. Each pattern block shape had a value. The complete design needed to have a total value of 24, 40 and 60.
Next, the students completed a bar graph using the information in their Pattern Block design. Finally they wrote a number sentence that reflected the data they collected in their graph.
- Use Pattern Blocks to create 3 shape designs that have a value 24, 40 and 60.
- Take a picture of your designs.
- Upload your pictures to Seesaw.
- Complete the graph to show how many shapes you used in your design.
- Write a number sentence that reflects the data collected in the graph.
Creating the designs involved a lot of problem-solving, thinking, calculations and conversations. Here are some Student Responses:
What designs might YOU create?
What is the SUM of YOUR design?