Focus: Research Skills, thinking Skills, Communication Skills
Materials: a stack (20 or more) of paper (or plastic) cups
- What tower designs can we create using paper cups?
- How many cups can we stack without it falling over?
- How can we document our designs?
This inquiry challenge will encourage the children to:
- observe carefully
- test generalizations, strategies or ideas
- draw conclusions and generalizations
- gather information from a variety of sources (materials)
- record observations—drawing, charting, tallying—using emergent writing skills, when possible, to annotate images
- notice relationships and patterns
- use mark-marking to convey meaning
- document information and observations in a variety of ways
- follow the directions of others
- demonstrate persistence in tasks
- use strategies to problem-solve
-Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)