What do you notice?
What do you wonder?
The students shared their ideas about the images.
We concluded that 8 is an even number, because 8 counters can be placed in sets of 2 with no leftover counters.
Next, we discussed the following images. What can we count? How might we count?
We documented our thinking.
- exploring the concept of odd and even numbers
- examining equal groups related to repeated-addition equations (e.g., 5 + 5 + 5 = 15)
- visualizing equal groups with arrays and area models
Then, we used manipulatives to create our own arrays.
- Make arrays with square tiles and record the repeated-addition and multiplication equations.
Same & Different: Rainbow Arrays
How are pictures A and B mathematically the same, and how are they different?
The students shared their thinking and reasoning.
Finally, we shared our ideas about the following picture.
- Show what is happening using pictures, models, or numbers.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What math questions can you ask about this situation?
Click on image to play an Online Game