Focus: Thinking Skills, Communication Skills
Mathematical Concepts: Similarities and Differences, Pattern, Symmetry, Shape and Measurement
- What do you see in world around you?
- How might we use these materials and natural resources to express our creativity and thinking?
Lets go on a nature walk to see what we can learn…
- What do you notice about the leaves?
- How are they the same? How are they different?
You can choose to do any (or all) of the following with your leaves:
- Create your own leaf man. Tell us about your creation.
- Draw a leaf (or leaves). Remember to observe and document like a scientist, details are important.
- Measure a leaf. Use different materials such as bottle caps, Lego or stones to measure the length or size of your leaf.
- Sort the leaves into groups. How will you organise your groups? By shape? colour? size?
Share your learning with the class.
Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)
- Observe carefully.
- Sort and Organize information.
- Record observations—drawing, charting, tallying
- Notice relationships and patterns.
- Present information in a variety of modalities.
- Express oneself using words and sentences.
- Use mark-marking to convey meaning.
- Demonstrate persistence in tasks.