We read the story ‘Give Up, Gecko!‘ by Margaret Read MacDonald Illustrated by Deborah Melmon.
This folktale is about a persevering Gecko who becomes the Chief. We discussed the moral of the story, the setting, and the students helped list the characters in the text.
We discussed the beginning, middle and end of the story.
What can we learn about the characters in the story?
We brainstormed different character traits. We talked about opposites, and also explored some spelling patterns we have been working on during Work Work.
The students worked in 3 groups to compare the traits and agree on how they would describe the different characters in the text.
They continued to work in groups to complete an independent activity.
Through this activity, the students had opportunities to:
- ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how
- recount stories
- determine their central message, lesson, or moral
- describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges
- describe the overall structure of a story
- demonstrate understanding of the characters, setting, or plot