- How do you know if someone is feeling happy or sad?
- How do you know if someone is listening?
- What can you do to help someone who is feeling sad or frustrated?
- What does it mean to have empathy?
The story ‘The Rabbit Listened’ by Cori Doerrfeld, is a wonderful picture book about ‘empathy’. The character Taylor doesn’t know where to turn and what to do when something terrible happens. One by one, the animals try to tell Taylor how to process this loss and frustration, and one by one they fail, until the rabbit arrives to just ‘listen’.
At the end of the read aloud, the students were encouraged to think and share their own experiences of when they may have felt frustrated, angry, or sad.
Connecting with a text is a critical reading comprehension strategy that helps students make meaning of what they are reading.
Approaches to Learning (ATL’s):
- practise empathy and care for others
- listen closely to others’ perspectives
- be respectful to others
Social and emotional intelligence
- be aware of own and others’ emotions
- be self and socially aware