Focus: Research Skills, Communication Skills
Does it float or sink?
Use a collection of familiar objects to determine whether each will sink or float in water.
- Gather a collection of objects
- Drop the objects into the water one at a time and note if they sink or float.
- Document your observations using drawings or photographs.
What did you observe about the items that sink versus those that float.
- Are they bigger?
- Do they feel heavier?
- Do they have a certain shape to them?
Share your findings with the class.
Approaches to Learning (ATL’s)
- observe carefully
- organize information
- test developing theories through experimentation
- seek information
- record observations—drawing and photographs
- analyse and interpret information
- express oneself using words and sentences
- use mark-marking to convey meaning
- document information and observations in a variety of ways